- Carrol and Eric Murray were both employed by The Boy Scouts of America when they met, courted, and had their daughter Summer. On vacation, they stayed at a Kampgrounds of America franchise in the State of Washington. Thinking it would be a fun business to own, they started dreaming, researching, and saving funds for “Someday” when they’d change careers.
- Eric explains how two successful individuals with similar experience learned to share responsibilities and offers tips to ease the pain if you and your spouse encounter conflicts in your early days of franchise ownership.
A Quote that Keeps Eric Going
“Say what you mean, mean what you say and cover the ground you stand on.”
Software or Business Resource
- QuickBooks: The number one small business accounting program.
- KOA’s Business Management Software: Keeps track of everything, from scheduling guest visits, maintaining the customer database, to camp store inventory.
Favorite Business Book
- In Search of Excellence by Tom Peters
Eric and Carrol attended a “Discovery Day” in Denver and were very impressed by everything the KOA management team discussed and they got positive reviews from the franchisees that attended. On their way home, as the landing gear retracted into the plane, they looked at each other and said, “Let’s sell the house!”
A month later, they were “homeless” and seeking a resale KOA unit. After a few twists in the road, they wound up just west of Omaha where they’re enjoying campground management and an income level that surpasses their previous salaries.
Eric explains how he believed his work experience with the Boy Scouts of America would blend with the KOA business model and how that’s working out for him, his wife Carrol and their daughter Summer.
Eric promised to answer your franchise questions if you email him at mailto:WestOmahaKOA@sisna.com
You can also call him at 402-332-3010 Central Time.
Follow their Progress on FaceBook at: https://www.facebook.com/OmahaKOA?fref=ts
KOA is the largest chain of family-based campgrounds in the US and Canada having grown to over 480 units since it’s founding in 1962 along the Yellowstone River in Montana. Guests can choose sites for tent camping, parking their camping trailers or motorhomes or a rustic cabin at most locations. Kids love the attractions of swimming, boating, fishing, jump pillows, ziplines and more.
To Explore the KOA Franchise System: KOA Franchise Opportunities.
Subscribe to the “How To Buy Your Best Franchise” Podcast.
- Insiders’ Secrets to Buying a Franchise: A Free 100-Page eBook to get you started on the road to franchise ownership. Written by Jim Deitz, The Franchise Doctor.
2. The FranchiseFit Entrepreneurial Survey: A Tool to help you find the Job Description in franchising where you can optimize your success.